Friday 11 March 2011

The World's Mightiest Mortal

After a previous co-operation* with my friend Antoine on the Elvis/Momentary Blink which you can find at the top of this post, I decided that I would try my hand at a new alter, alone.
*For "co-operation" read: "Me mucking it up and Antoine rescuing with brilliance"


It was to be an Ice Age Adarkar Wastes full art. I spent the first week curling the card with too much water when I was clearing away the borders. I then put it between a couple of books and forgot about it. Clearing house this weekend uncovered the unfinished Adarkar Wastes and a surprise Season's Beatings. I filed the SB and finished the Wastes. While I accept that it's not exactly on a level with Poxy14, I wasn't expecting it to be. It's now flat and finished and here in all its glory.

After initially forgetting about the Adarkar Wastes, my delusional brain thought I could somehow overcome my inability to paint detail (or complete a project) so I savaged a Hellkite Charger extension. It came out acceptably well considering but remains a good lesson of what not to do to cards you are painting. Scraping off the existing layers with a cutter before painting = bad.


How could I cap such a streak of unfinished mediocrity?


I know! Alter a Captain Marvel onto a Rafiq. It couldn't be all that difficult, could it?


Em....


Ok, the intent was good. The cloak covering the lion was obvious and lightning cover the sword wasn't a bad idea either, it's just that my artistic ability isn't really much more advanced than that of my 7-year-old.* Maybe determination wasn't a suitable substitute for skill in this instance. It kinda looked like my mock-up in MS Paint. Knowing that my MS Paint skills are worse than my usual artistic endeavours should give you an idea of what I had when I took stock.
*Probably an unfair comparison. She's much better.


Cap and card in hand, I presented myself once more before the master and begged favour. At great sacrifice to happiness in his household, he gave me back this:


Thank you Antoine. I am Billy Batson your Captain Marvel.
Shazam!!

2 comments:

  1. The Captain Marvel modification might be the best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's going into a Rafiq/Infect deck I'm building.

    Other art projects on the skillet: Turn my non-foil Thada Adel cards into Batman a themed deck!

    ReplyDelete